Sunday 8 June 2008

"The movie"


Yes it's here - Sex & the city - the movie. I am a great fan of the TV series so when I heard they were making a movie to get the big closure I was quite trilled. So, last night I went to see it together with my sister. We came well prepared - dressed to kill (or amuse at least) and with a couple of home-made cosmopolitans ... Our shoes were not exactly Manolos but the heals were high and thin - just as they should be. Our fear of being a bit overdressed - I mean, we were just going to the movies - were completely unnecessary . As we got close to the movie theater we see girls - lots of them, and they are all in high heels and cute dresses. Obviously this TV-series has a lot of fans and they were all here to see the four fashion freaks one last time.


Then: Now:


I have to say, I was not disappointed. I got all I had hoped for - laughter, tears, great lines and lots and lots of fashion! And the girls were just as fabulous as they were when the series were on, not much had changed - Charlotte who has always been lousy at playing the "mad" scenes actually made the audience laugh when she was at her most angry - of course all the botox doesn't help the mimic...
The one who had aged the most in my opinion was actually the absolute hunk - Smith. What?? Of course, a picture is in order...! But I go for the early-day one... you can blame me if you want, but it won't make a difference.





Jennifer Hudson was a fresh new face and she was lovely in the role as Carries assistant - also the series needed a black character - they are in New York for heavens sake! I liked her so much that I chose to ignore the question that kept popping into my head whenever her character was on the screen - does one really hire a personal assistant just because one is so heartbroken one can't stand the thought of unpacking?? I guess in New York one does.

OK, so I mentioned the broken heart, so of course I should include a picture of the beloved and hated Mr. Big - "I curse the day your were born" He IS handsome in a devilish kind of way and a natural part of the movie.



All in all I really liked the movie, as I had seen the trailer there were no big surprises. It was not all sunshine and happiness, but that's never been the thing in this series. Even though the characters in this show are a bit (I could say "tiny bit" but I would be lying) prettier, richer and more successful than me, I do recognize myself and my friends in the characters and I guess that's why I'm so fond of them. Sex and the city is one of my favourite shows ever and it's great that they managed to pull of the movie in such an entertaining and emotionally way. Indeed a worthy closing.

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Love,
E

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, first of all: these characters are NOT prettier than you! Whatever possessed you to write such a thing?
Second of all: I'm happy for your two enthusiastic thumbs up, although I don't think they will convince me to see the movie. I guess you're a little bit more into sex and cities than me. I did enjoy your blog entry, though: two very very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Thugnanny said...

he he, thank you dear friend for those kind words. My thumbs are always enthusiastic, but they are not always turned upwards... Still this may not be the movie for you. I would recommend you to wait for my column ( and the movie that will probably follow) Sex & Garage.

E