Saturday 3 May 2008

Siss - my musical influence...


Every since I went to the U.S. WONDERFUL-A about ten years ago I have been addicted to the R&B/ hip hop genera. And ever since, my sister has tried to influence me in another direction. Exposing me to different types of music and trying to convince me that expanding ones musical horizon is a wonderful and necessary thing.

Well, so far I have been fighting her all the way. As the little sister who has been "bossed around" all my life, I didn't wait more than a second after entering "adulthood" (if I in fact can say I have entered it) to become very independent -nobody can tell me what to do!! (unless they are my mother of course, but those are the rules) And that includes what music to listen to.
So, instead of welcoming her well-meaning input I have done the only thing natural to me - I have mocked her for her "weird and hopeless" music taste. And I have to say, sometimes with good reason. I still firmly believe that the Balkan orchestra she speaks so highly of will not be a natural part of my CD-collection, not now, not ever! Still I should give her more credit. Because more than once, when I've given "her" music a chance, I've actually liked it.
Last night is a proof of that. She took me and a friend (lets call her doc - because...well, she is one) to my favourite hangout-place "G" for a concert with a Norwegian folk-group. Yeah, I know what you're thinking - folk music, how much fun can that be? But I'm telling you, this group rocks! They do thing with their violins I've never seen beeing done before, and the result is pumping, youthful and fun. Check out my link on the right hand side: Valkyrien Allstars and let me know what you think.
Love,
E

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, miss E., I just checked in to say that it has been an awful lot of days since your last blog entry. Please blog soon! I am getting bored..

Thugnanny said...

Well, Amidala I'm sorry. Not that many interesting things have happened in my life lately. I'll try to get a grip though.
Espesially now when I know how much I'm missed.