Tuesday 29 April 2008

32 going on 25

Yes, this has been my description of myself since…well I guess since the day I turned 26. This whole age-thing sure is a tricky matter. As a teenager you strive to look as old as possible, eager to turn 18 so you can get into the cool clubs, get your drivers license and buy your own wine. This is all nice, good, and great even, but it doesn’t last very long.

It just occurred to me that I only for a very short period of my life have been comfortable being the age I actually was. I think from age 20-23 I was comfortable with my age (not body and soul though, but you can’t have everything) Up until this point my life as a shy, strange-looking girl with a boyish haircut didn’t find life all that exciting. As I “came into my own” as “they” say (realizing that blond was the way to go and that the boyish haircut had to become history, forever!), I had some nice years before the anxiety took a grip of my heart, body and soul. The whole - “I’m XX years old, I should have accomplished this and that by now” started occupying my thoughts, and it still does.

BUT, instead of draping my self in self-pity and velvet (‘cause everyone knows that’s not socially acceptable) I have decided to take a moment (not to say goodbye, this is reality, not “the batchelor”) to reflect on this last year. New wisdom has been stored and will be used for all it’s worth in the year that lies ahead of me. Here are some of them.

- Finding a one night stand isn’t that hard as long as you know what signals to send out ( it took me a long time, but I finally cracked the code - ignoring them isn’t always the way to go)

- If you like a guy, having a one-night-stand isn’t the way to build a relationship (ok, I knew this in theory, but now I know it for a fact)

- Asking a guy to do the dishes before he leaves in the morning is never a good idea (even if it feels natural at the time)

- Exercise can be a lot of fun if you have the right work-out-buddy and it actually give results to. (some not visible to my surroundings, but nevertheless real to me)

- Mixing vine, cocktails and beer is no problem as long as you make sure you top it with some baileys.

- People asking you to show your ID isn’t doing it to flatter you, they actually DO think you are 18!

- Two whole front teeth is not to be taken for granted.

- Curling can be a very dangerous sport!

- New friends can be found right around the corner. And even though you don’t know their name, that doesn’t mean they can’t be your friends (this one is dedicated to Kjakan - we ARE friends, you just don’t know it…yet)

and last but certainly not least

- if you set yourself some goals ( even if it’s just for one evening) - it is in fact possible to reach them.

So, what has brought all this philosophy on you might wonder. Well, the sad fact is, that tomorrow I turn 32. I am officially a 32 year-old trapped in a 25-year old mind, heart and some would say body…

Therefore, on this last day as 31 I would like to dedicate this text to:

- the doorman at my favourite club asking for my ID.
- the cute 25 year old who thought I was “his age”.
- and my great friends who celebrated my birthday yesterday who had the curtesy and the kindness to wish me a “Happy 25th birthday”

Bless your hearts!

Love,
E - 31 (for two more hours)

No comments: